Well, the first purchase is easy. You should start out with the the Starter Set. It used to be called the Deluxe Edition, but now I think it is just called Dreadball. With it you will get the cards, dice, ref and rules, that you need to get started. Plus, you get two teams to begin playing with right away. Full contents are:
1 - 84 Page A4 Full Colour Rulebook
1 Mounted Game Board
10 Plastic Corporation Players (4 × Strikers, 4 × Jacks, 2 × Guards)
10 Plastic Marauder Players (6 Jacks, 4 Guards)
1 Plastic Referee
2 Plastic Balls
54 Game Cards
13 Game Counters
24 Clear Plastic Hex Bases
1 Roster Pad
2 Mantic Points
Unless, of course, you can get your hands on a copy of Dreadball: Azure Forest Limited Edition. Then you get a nice boost to your start, for just a few bucks more. Contents include:
Full-color A4 Rulebook
10 Human Miniatures
10 Marauder Miniatures
1 Referee Miniature
Transparent Plastic Bases
18 Colored Dice
League Roster Pad
54-card DreadBall Deck
Limited Edition Azure Forest Pitch
Azure Forest Supplementary Rulebook
15 Azure Forest DreadBall Cards
Metal A'teo Adysi MVP Miniature
After that, go for buying the team that appeals to you the most for aethetics or gameplay... I recommend not beginning with the following teams:
- Red Planets Martian Team - Could be frustrating to new players. Have a few odd rules and Fragile, lackluster Strikers.
- Koeputki Kolossals Zee Team - Could be frustrating to new players. Have a few odd rules. All Jacks (only one mediocre position).
- Midgard Delvers Forge Fathers Team - Could be frustrating to new players. Slow. Require a lot of patience to make work (if you like the look of them, just ue the Brokkr rules from Season 4).
- Ro-tek Brutes Mechanite Team - Could be frustrating to new players. Requires a decent understanding of the game to make decent players. Might require multiple purchases of teams to create what you want.
- Kovoss Kryptics Mutant Team - Could be frustrating to new players. Requires a decent understanding of the game to make decent players. Might require multiple purchases of teams to create what you want.
Then, get a league going or play in a tournament. Join the FB Fanatics page. Listen to The Strike Zone Podcast.
The community is great and always looking to grab new people!