|Orx Guard - Red, Goblin Jack - Orange, Koris Guard - Dark Blue, Koris Jack - Light Blue|
My opponent went with a similar setup in the 3-4 Point Strikezone. He chose to use two Jacks to Guard the extra point hexes in the 1-2 point zones too. And finally, he went with a Guard in the center, no doubt to try and attack the poor Marauders on his turn.
The first few Rushes saw the Orx and Goblins dominate. By the end of the third Rush, 5 Koris were off the Pitch and I had scored a 4 point Strike with a Goblin! My dice were above average for sure, and my opponent's dice were... awful.
The game began to balance out after that. The Wanderers came back on the Pitch slowly, but with the use of the portals and some luck, they did manage to score a 2 point Strike. My opponent did a good job of placing the portals and utilizing them.
The Goblins began having butter fingers and flubbed some easy rolls. The Orx continued to beat down the other side, but more knocked down models than sent off the Pitch as the game moved along.
The final score was in the Marauder's favor, but just.
Thoughts on the game:
- Orx are still big boys! They crush like it was Season One all the time!
- Koris Movement 4 HAS TO be mitigated by the portals.
- The Koris Striker is a huge target, and is taken off the pitch easily - use him for the big score and then pray he doesn't die.
- Goblins Dash well... unless they don't.
- The Koris Guards are better than I originally imagined.
- Slamming to get the ball is usually better than trying to Steal.
Thoughts on the new Jack rules:
- The new Jack rules will matter the most for teams with Jacks that have decent Strength. I think that the Teratons, Brokkrs (and I guess by extension the Forge Fathers), and the Crystallans will gain the most from these new rules. Being able to Slam with a 3+ Strength from 2-3 hexes away is a fantastic boon to these teams.
- The all-Jack teams for instance, can only be improved by the rules of course. I am not sure it will make them more competitive though. Time and playing them will tell, but my gut says that it will not vastly improve them.
- Void Siren Jacks! Um, a Running Interference Slam from 3 hexes away is crazy, crazy good!
- Z'zor Jacks... makes the Z'zor Striker useless now.
- The Sorak Jack will be improved by this change (like the Rebs needed another boost!).
- Martian Jack guns?!?! Does it work on their guns?